I have many memories of eating Nanaw’s Vegetable Soup!
Nanaw was a wonderful cook, and her soup is a favorite in our family! Even though I have prepared it several times, mine never tastes quite as good as Nan’s! The recipe below will make a lot of soup. I suggest that you add the tomatoes and chicken broth to the slow cooker first. Then add the vegetables little by little until the slow cooker is filled. If you have extra vegetables, use them for a second batch!
baked chicken, shredded
frozen mixed vegetables
frozen garden peas
frozen butter beans
canned tomatoes or frozen tomatoes
Salt to taste
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 10-12 hours. Serve with cornbread or crackers! Enjoy!!! You can also cook this on top of the stove and it's all done in just a few hours!
If you make Nanaw’s Vegetable Soup, you will need some cornbread to go along with your meal! Follow this easy recipe for delicious cornbread!
6 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup milk
1 cup yogurt
¾ cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 glass dish with cooking spray.
- Combine melted butter, eggs, milk, and yogurt in a large bowl.
- Add flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder.
- Stir and place in glass dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick is clean when inserted into center of bread.
Want to freeze your own tomatoes? Read Summer Tomatoes for the Winter!