Do you enjoy making old things new again? I appreciate an old piece of furniture revived with a fresh coat of paint or a recovered chair that boasts a pretty new fabric. Sometimes there’s a gorgeous gem just waiting for a much-needed makeover.
I have an eclectic mix of décor in my home, including some primitive styles. I met a lady years ago who told me she sold all her super nice furniture and purchased furniture in primitive style. She said it wouldn’t matter if her kids put dings in it since the furniture was already distressed!
Over the last few years primitive and farmhouse styles have replaced many of the traditional styles. The popular thing to do is paint a piece of furniture and sand or scratch it up so it’s “distressed.” Buy well-made, used furniture as cheap as possible, upcycle it with distressed style, and the resell value skyrockets!
Several years ago I attended a craft show with my grandmother. I saw the most beautiful painted candlesticks at one of the booths. There was one set in particular that was tiny and delicate, and I have often regretted not purchasing the set.
I like minimal décor as it makes cleaning easier, AND I enjoy living in a clutter-free home. I’m pretty picky about what I buy for home decorations, and I rarely see things I absolutely love, so you can understand my regret of not purchasing the candlesticks.
After the craft show my grandmother gave me a set of bronze candlesticks and told me I could paint them; however, at the time, I thought that wouldn’t be a good idea. I didn’t want to regret painting the candlesticks at a later date. I have used them in different places in my house. They have really come in handy when the power is out; however, in recent days I just wasn’t using them as much. It was time for an upcycle!
For the month of January I decided to participate in an Upcycle Craft Challenge. The assignment was to upcycle anything made of plastic, glass, or metal.
I chose to distress my bronze candlesticks to make them primitive style, and I am happy to say that I am extremely pleased with the results.
The candlesticks were originally the same height, but I noticed they were connected with a screw-type mechanism. After unscrewing and removing a section of one of the candlesticks, I was able to make them different heights. Even though the candlesticks appeared identical, the inside screws were slightly different, so I had to use a little super glue to secure one of candlesticks.
I wanted to distress them for primitive style, so my original plan was to use brown spray paint first, and once dry, use cream spray paint. I planned to use a sandpaper square to distress them. Amazingly enough, this easy process was even easier than I planned!
After thoroughly spraying the candlesticks with the brown spray paint, I let them dry some, but not completely. Next, I began spraying them with the cream paint, and noticed that the paints where mixing and causing a natural distressed look!
I continued spraying the candlesticks with the two different colors of paint, letting some drying occur between coats. Once I was satisfied with the look, I let them dry completely and added some cozy battery operated candles.
I am delighted with my new-to-me distressed primitive candlesticks. They complement my home decor, and this project was totally free because I already owned all the supplies. Yay!
Please be sure to visit my blogging friends who are also participating in January’s Upcycle Challenge. Use the links below to view the projects they are sharing today.